Thursday, December 6, 2007

The joy of braces

Today... was THE day. The day I had to get braces... oh joy. I went to work this morning. Rode my horses in a rush. Got home at 11:30. Took a 3 minute shower (yes I can do that thank you) blow dried my air. Ate a smallish bite of food. By this time its 12:00. Took a shower, dried my hair, and ate all in 30 minutes. Oh yes, I'm good ;) Well off we go! I fall asleep in the backseat. And by 1:15 we have arrived at the place I had been dreading. I get to go in right whenever we get there. And then it starts.

The nice lady tells me to sit down in the middle chair. I do. She puts the little... bib looking thing on me. Then yanks out my spacers. It felt really weird after they were gone. But it didn't last long cause she put these round band type things where the spacers had been. And then she starts putting this stuff on my teeth. "Its going to taste and feel like dirt." Yep she was right. It did. Yuck. She and the dentist were trying to talk to my while I had this icky stuff in my mouth. And well it wasn't exactly easy to talk.... After she gets done putting it all on my teeth. She tells me to to go brush me teeth and come back. Alrighty then. I come back and sit down again.

She does some more weird stuff to my teeth. Uses the little saliva sucker and such. Puts some more nastiness on my teeth. Then we go to the mold thing. Ugh. She shows me the metal thing that will go in my mouth. Then tells me she'll put a paste thing on it and it'll go in my mouth. Then she says. "This sometimes slides to the back of your throat. And it makes a lot of people gag. Are you a gagger?" Oh... great... I tell her no I am not a gagger. Then she walks off. And comes back with the metal thing full of pink gunk. She the sticks it up in my mouth. It was pretty nasty. And they had to stay in my mouth awhile. She had a hard time pulling it out. I was worried it wouldn't. Yikes.

After that I had to go brush again. I come back. She does more stuff. More saliva sucking and all that good stuff. Then we move on to the wonderful thing that gets stuck in your mouth that opens up your mouth really wide. And pulls your gums back. Its not much fun sitting there with this huge thing in your mouth. And someone sitting over you messing with your teeth. I felt like I was in surgery are something. She puts more nasty stuff on my teeth. Stuff that is sour tasting. She tells me not to swallow it. Then she rinses all in my mouth, then sucks it all out again. Ugh. Puts these things in my cheeks that are supposed to keep inside of my mouth dry. Then we move on to the brackets. That wasn't so bad. She just did the glue, then the bracket. The dentist had to come over twice and do a "bracket check." .... hmmm... guess he just had to make sure the lady did it right. He did a lot of prodding around in my mouth. Made me move my head this way, and that way. Up and down. After he said that they were okay the nice lady gets out this little tool thing.... with I blue light.... and I sit there wondering what the heck it is. I still don't know. But she used it a lot. Hmmm....

We move on to the wire. That I didn't like much. It just doesn't feel right having wire stuck in your teeth, then sticking out. And it seemed like it took forever. Maybe just cause I'd been sitting in that chair so long. Hardly able to swallow are do anything. Ugh. Finally after what seemed like forever she is done with the wire. And I'm done! well not quite yet. I have to wait to get "instructions." which are. How to floss, how to brush correctly, what not to eat, so on and so forth. THEN I'm done! YAY!!

We stop and I get a hamburger on the way home. I was told by several people I needed to eat after I got them on. Well that wouldn't be a problem. I do like food ya know.

Now I have these weird, extremely strange feeling things in my teeth. But so far they haven't really been sore. Thank goodness. I guess I'll get used to them after awhile...hopefully... I just have to think about what pretty, straight teeth I'll have in... however many years....

Well I shall bid you all farewell. I need to go pack.

MEXICO TOMORROW!!! WOOOHOOO!!!!!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LOL... yeah that's pretty much how it goes... Oh and the blue light thingamajig. The glue on your teeth to hold the brackets is really like cement, and the blue light hardened the cement... Otherwise the glue wouldn't of hardened. So yeah... LOL this made me laugh. I went through it too, it was a very frustrating, and long, and what seemed like a pointless activity. But I'm glad to be getting mine on soon! I demand that you take a picture and send it to me RIGHT NOW! Hey, I sent one of my glasses... Now it's your turn! Bwahahaha!

Sara said...

But, but, but.... I don't wanna send a picture....

Joshua said...

Mmm... braces. I keep wondering whether I should have gotten them or not. Well, have fun with that. You don't have to send a picture, don't listen to Catlin. ; )