Sunday, February 27, 2011

A sweet weekend

"Pure and undefiled religion before God and the Father is this: to visit orphans and widows in their trouble, and to keep oneself unspotted from the world." James 1:27

An opportunity came up for us to go to an orphanage in Budapest every other weekend. Only 7 could go because of limited van space. They had mentioned it last week, and then I was sick and missed the sign up but one of the girls couldn't go, so a spot opened up! We went for the first time Saturday, and it was such a sweet time. Before we went they had told us it would be mostly teenagers, which honestly made me a little nervous...but when we got there we walked into this room full of 60 something little kids.

There were some older ones, but most where 10 and younger. We got there and it was a little chaotic, we had met up with another team and it was their first time as well. So we didn't really know what all to do at first. They broke us into different groups, just to kind of get to know one another. It was of course all in Hungarian, so I never had any clue what was going on, or what was being said, but I loved it! The kids asked me to say some sentences in english, and then asked me to say what words I knew in Hungarian ((which consisted of like four)) and then they laughed at how I pronounced them.

After that we got to go to a their dining room, and set up a place for them to paint, and also to make bracelets and necklaces with beads.


I spent most of my time at the bead table which some precious girls. This one here below wouldn't ever tell me her real name. She'd say ((in english)) "My name is...- and it was a different name everytime. I'd laugh and tell her Nem (no) or Igen (yes) and she'd just laugh and giggle.

This little one was absolutely precious.
She loved giving me thumbs up, or thumbs down.


They LOVED having their pictures taken, and I wish I had gotten more. It was so chaotic that it was hard, but next time I think I'll be able to take more. They would ask me to take pictures with them, or just of them. Then they'd ask if they could take pictures with my camera.


It was just a sweet time, and I'm so thankful we got to go. We only got to spend two hours there, but I'm hoping as we go more they'll allow us to stay longer. It isn't a Christian based home, so they told us we couldn't talk about our faith with them, but if they asked us we could tell them. I can't wait to go back, we're supposed to go back this next Saturday, and then we'll start going every other week.
Pray that they'll see something different in us, and ask questions!

Today 7 of us went to Calvary Chapel Budapest! They were having a baptism service, and it was so cool! I love that church anyways. The guy that is the director over this college, is also the pastor for that church. He's American, so he preaches in english, and then they have a translator. The music is all in Hungarian though, which is really cool! and their worship team is great. One girl played the flute, and one guy played the mandolin for a few songs.


After church we had a couple hours to hang out before we came back to the college. We all ended up going to a mall, and eating, and walking around. Then my friend Callie and I walked around outside some waiting for the others.

Aren't they the cutest thing?? Of course me being my creeper self had to get a picture.

Me and Callie!


So that has been my weekend, and a sweet weekend it has been.
Tomorrow starts another week, and I can't believe I'm already starting week four!
I have some homework I had better get to...it is due tomorrow! Have a great week friends!

3 comments:

Ranch wife said...

Thanks for sharing. I love hearing and seeing what you are up to. I am pretty sure I want one of those Kiddos!!

~M~

Anonymous said...

Sounds like a fun day!

Callie Denny said...

I think you are cooler than Indiana Jones!