Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Horse Shoeing...

Some horses are easy to shoe, some not. Well if it's one of my daddy's horses it's not.

My dad hates to shoe horses, just hates it. Well he asked me this afternoon to come hold his horse, Rett while he was shoeing... or shodding... whatever. So I was like ok. I already know this horse is a pain to shoe, last time I was watching my my daddy had all kinds of heck. He has to give him a shot of ace, which makes them sleepy and calms them down. And then try to go about putting shoe's on. This is not a a easy task with this horse, at all. He'll let daddy trim and rasp his feet. But whenever he goes to put the shoe on he is always trying to take his foot away from my dad, and won't stand still and all this crazy stuff. Well this doesn't make daddy very happy, not happy at all. He puts a saddle on him, then gets a leadrope, and ties his foot up. Well then the little dummy gets to trying to fall over, and both me and my dad are trying to jump out of the way. Well the goes totally balistic and daddy tells me to let go of his leadrope. Well he takes off into the corral hopping and almost falling down. He does finally just fall down, so my dad goes about putting the shoe on while he's down.... So maybe not the best thing, but hey it worked. He tried to get up several times. But he finally layed still.

My Dad: "He's not dying is he?" (watch him breath) Me: "Sure hope not."

Well then it's time to do the other foot so we get him up. Then my dad ties his other foot, and he falls down again. After all this he finally gets the shoe's on. Then we try and get him up.

Daddy: "Get up."... (nothing happens. Pull on the leadrope) Daddy: "Come on get up you stupid horse." Me: "C'mon now get up. You ain't dead, you dummy."

(I get my horse name calling from my daddy.) Well he finally rises. Then my dad has to go about finishing him up. Rasping and such. He didn't give my dad to much trouble during that though. During this whole proccess I was scared to death that he was going to kick my dad, paw him, or fall on him. He almost did fall on him once... crazy animal. We were glad he only needed his front feet done. My poor daddy... He wants to send me to horse shoeing school now, I was like yeah so I can shoe all your crazy horses for you, he just said yep.

Me: (on my computer) "This stupid computer is froze up!" Daddy: Well why don't you get a hair dryer to melt it out.... I don't know why it's froze up anyway. I could understand if it was froze during the winter but not during the summer."

Oh my daddy...

2 comments:

Joshua said...

The last little bit was hilarious. That's Buck. We never shoe our own horses. One, we don't have the tools. Two, I am not sure my dad knows exactly how. Three, he is too lazy to do it anyway. So we have this guy come over and shoe them for us. His name is David Hise. He is a strange guy. Horses can be so... temperamental.

Sara said...

Yes they can be. I told my dad today he should get somebody to do it since he hates it so, he said he would if he had the money.