Friday, April 25, 2008

Cow surgery

WARNING: This post features a graphic medical procedure. Viewer discretion is advised.


This morning we had a mission, a mission to find a prolapsed cow. So this morning, I saddle up Pete, Nathan saddles up Rocky, and daddy saddles up Doc. We load 'em up in the trailer and off we go. Down the dirt road, onto the highway, then into the pasture. We drive down the road slowly, scanning the pasture for the ole bovine... my dad turns on the siren off and on, and honks the horn... nothing so far, we keep driving, still nothing. We eventually turn around and again scan the pasture for her... nothing. We get back onto the highway and drive down it a ways, just to see if she is on the fence line. She's not. Phoo. We turn back around, and turn back onto the same dirt road. My dad turns on the siren again..... nothing. We continue to creep down the road... as we creep down the road we finally see them! Them being some cows and their calves. My dad honks the horn, they come running, we wait... cows are slow. Most of them get there and gather around the pickup, we continue to wait. After a few minutes, there coming over the hill is the prolapsed cow, and her calf. The, black, gray, white, smoky colored cow. Ha, we couldn't decide on the color, my dad and Nathan argued about it, Nathan said she was black, my dad said she was kind of gray, Nathan's says she is not gray she is black. Then he sees her up close and says she's, gray, black, and white. Me and my dad decided she was more of a smoky color. Anyway, why does it even matter.

Daddy bangs out some cake, we get out and unload the horses, get on and go attempt to break the cow and calf away from the rest of the herd. We weren't sure if we were going to drive her to the house, or try and rope her and put her in the trailer. My dad decides to try driving her, and if she gives us problems then he was going to rope her. It takes a few minutes to get her away from the rest of them, but we get it done and don't have to rope her. She went along pretty good, only tried to turn around and go back to her friends a few times... her...chums, buddies, peeps, homies. Ha. Anyway, we go for awhile then get up to the highway, she goes through the gate, and over the highway, my dad goes over and opens the gate to the heifer pasture, we push her down the side of the highway and then into the heifer pasture. Nathan and Daddy keep on pushing her and I get sent back to get the pickup. So, down the highway I go, through the gate, then down the road back to the pickup. Just me and Pete, trotting on down the road... I make it to the pickup, load up Pete, load up myself in the drivers sit, start 'er up and down the road I go.

Whenever I stopped to turn onto the highway I see a pickup that looks familiar coming down the road, with a trailer on it. So, I wait. And sure enough it's the foreman. He pulls over, gets out and talks to me for a minute, asks me what's going on, I tell him about the cow, he asks if we have it under control, I tell him we do, then he leaves. Off I go again, on the highway, Hoping I don't get stopped. That wouldn't have been good, I didn't have my license with me, and Pete doesn't have hauling papers. Good thing I didn't have far to go ;) anyway. I get back to the house right whenever they are about to bring the cow into the water lot, perfect timing. I get back on Pete and go to help, it wasn't hard. Thankfully, she just went right in, then we put her in the corral. We then unsaddled, and my dad go all the stuff to sow... sew... whatever. Anyway, he got the stuff, and some warm water. I grabbed my camera and headed out to watch. Now you get to see pictures, hehe.

If you have a weak stomach you should probably turn back now.

I'm serious..... this is not a pretty site.





Are you sure you want to do this?





Positive?





This is your last chance.






Ok, if you are sure. Here goes.





The cow

Wonderful looking isn't it?

Some sort of gunk

Doctor Daddy

"Don't push it back out!."

Time for surgery









Surgery is complete.

Thank you. My hero.


Hope you all enjoyed.

Catch ya'll later.

4 comments:

LeAnna said...

Very interesting!! I've never seen that done, though I've heard my boss talk about it a zillion times. I'm used to gross animal body parts being grossly gross and broken. That's all I ever see, gross broken animals. Okay, so that's not true. I see okay, live, normal ones too.

But I've seen some pretty gross things before.

Well! It's supper time now, Yum. ;)

Joshua said...

That was a pretty severe prolapse. Hmm.

HorseLover said...

hmmm, yes that was...ah interseting! i made the mistake of eating my breakfast of toast and apple butter while reading that..(and looking) well,hmmm...intesting.:)

Anonymous said...

Beautiful pictures. I was going to take pictures of John sewing up a prolapse...but didn't since Jimmy and J.W were hanging around.